A big player in the healthy breakfast department, Oatmeal, Sunny Boy and Cream of Wheat are all Worth a Second Look. I have a hard time figuring out how I could have just picked up a cookbook featuring breakfast suggestions and recipes and not one single page made reference to hot cereal! Along with buckwheat, rice, bulgur, barley and other variations of grainy hot cereals, many good cold whole grain cereals can be prepared with either water or warm milk. Prep times are reasonable and the health benefits are respectable as part of well-balanced, healthy breakfast:
Cream of Wheat has 30% of the recommended daily intake of Iron.
Sunny Boy has 24% of the recommended daily intake of Fiber.
1. Berries: Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, Saskatoon berries...etc.
2. Bananas, peaches, mangoes and other fruit.
3. Brown Sugar
5. Cream: Use milk in larger proportions but a touch of thick cream is nice.
6. Shredded coconut
7. Toasted Nuts: Pecans, walnuts, almonds...etc
8. Jam or Fruit Preserves
9. Maple Syrup, Honey or other liquid sweeteners
10. Spices: Cinnamon, ginger, allspice...etc.
To learn how to prepare toasted oatmeal, see or search Toasted Oatmeal, February 12, 2014 at The Summer Kitchen.